Professor Russ Branzell is the CEO and President of the College of Healthcare Information Executives (CHiME) and its affiliate associations: the Association for Executives in Healthcare Information Security (AEHIS), the Association for Executives in Healthcare Information Technology (AEHIT) and the Association for Executives in Healthcare Information Applications (AEHIA).
Prior to joining CHiME as president and CEO in April 2013, Branzell served as CEO of the Colorado Health Medical Group. Prior to that, he was the vice president of information services and CIO at Poudre Valley Health System and the president/CEO of Innovation Enterprises (PVHS’ for-profit information services entity). Before joining PVHS, Branzell was the regional deputy CIO and executive director of information services for Sisters of Mercy Health System in St. Louis, Mo. Branzell served on active duty in the United States Air Force and retired from the Air Force Reserves in 2008. While on active duty, he served in numerous healthcare administration positions, including CIO for the Air Mobility Command Surgeon General’s Office. In 1996, he was selected for the Air Force Medical Service Fellowship program and completed a CIO internship at the Unity Health System in St. Louis.
A native of San Antonio, Branzell earned an undergraduate degree in business administration, specializing in human resource management and labor relations, from the University of Texas. In addition, he earned a master’s degree in aerospace science from Embry-Riddle University with an emphasis in management.
CHiME Service and Awards
- CHiME Certified Healthcare CIO (CHCIO)
- CHiME Fellow
- CHiME Healthcare CIO Boot Camp Faculty Member (current)
- 2010 CHiME State Advocacy Award
- 2004-2008 Past Member, CHiME Board of Trustees
- 2004-2008 Past Chair, CHiME Education Committee
- Past Chair, CHiME Education Foundation
Industry Service and Awards
- Fellow, HIMSS
- Fellow, American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE)
- Colorado CIO Communication Collaborative (C4) Facilitator
- 2011 Information Week Healthcare CIO TOP 25 HIT Executives
- 2008 Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award
- 2006 Northern Colorado Business Report Healthcare Hero (Executive)
- 2005 ACHE Regent’s Award – Young Healthcare Administrator of the Year, State of Colorado
For more details, please visit https://chimecentral.org/speaker/russell-p-branzell-fchime-chciopresident-a.